Exposition of Samogitian village
Malūno g. 5, Telšiai
Expostion is waiting for you:
Žiūrėti didesnį žemėlapio vaizdą
- Adults – 3,00 €
- For schoolchildren, students and seniors (document must be provided) – 1,50 €
- Guided tour (in English language, duration of tour 1,5 h) – 25,00 €
- Admission for education per person (groups for less than 25 persons) – 3,00 €
- For visiting Samogitian village exposition park only when expositions are closed (per person) – 1,00 €
- Photograph and film in the exhibition of Samogitian village – 30 €
FREE: children under 7, groups of foster-home children, disabled persons, members of the International Council of Museums (ICOM), Lithuanian museum specialists, teachers in attendance of a group of more than 10 people (to provide the confirming document).
- pasivažinėjimas vežimaičiu 30 min. – 10 €
- uždarų komercinių renginių organizavimas jaujoje ir teritorijoje, proginių švenčių dalyvių priėmimas 1 val., įskaitant leidimą fotografuotis – 60 €
- kiekviena papildoma valanda – 30 €
- teritorijos nuoma komercinių renginių metu (1 kv. m. plotas) – 2,00 €
On the sout-western bank of Lake Mastis lies a mini open-air museum of the Samogitian village. In an area of 8.5 ha, household utensils, agricultural implements, and pieces of furniture from the end of the 19th – early 20th c. are exhibited in authentic buildings of the exposition of the Samogitian village.
Back in 1936, when the building of the museum “Alka” was designed, the museum's first director Pranas Genys had an idea to establish a park with a Samogitian homestead, Samogitian chapels and crosses next to the museum. This idea began to take shape in 1963, when the Council of Ministers of the Republic of Lithuania took a decision to establish the Lithuanian Ethnographic Museum in Rumšiškės and its three regional branches. In 1965 the implementation of the decision began. The town's authorities assigned a plot of 15 ha for the park near the town. An exposition plan was made, and buildings suitable for moving werw found. In 1967 the first building, a sauna built in 1929, was transferred to the territory of the park-museum. In 1982 the museum's exposition st up in several buidings and an ethnographic department was opened to visitors. The museum's aim was not only to show the ethnographic lifestyle in the natural environment, but also to conserve authentic buildings of folk architecture.
Today the exposition contains 16 authentic buildings transferred from Samogitian villages. It reflects the arrangement of buildings of the late 19th – early 20th century in Samogitian homesteads and the architectural style typical of this region. the buildings are grouped into four sectors: a large-scale farmer's homestead, a medium-scale farmer's homestead, a poor peasant's homestead, and the public sector.
The large-scale farmer's homestead consists of a residential house (built in 1870), a granary, a barn, a cattle-shed, a mow, a pigsty, a building for drying flax, and sauna.
The homestead of a medium-scale farmer consists of a residential house, a late 19th c. granary, a barn, and a cattle-shed.
The homestead of a poor peasant is composed of only two buildings: a residential house and the cattle-shed with a barn from the 2nd half of the 19th c.
The public sector contains a English-type windmil, a forge, and a cementery. Samogitian roadside shrines, small chapels and crosses decorating the symbolic cementery reflect a large variety of monuments of small-scale architecture.
The exposition in the buildings reveals the daily life and enviroment of peasants of that period.
The Samogitian village exposition is supplemented by animals of the Lithuanian gene pool – horses of the Žemaitukai breed.
The exposition of the Samogitian village holds educational workshops, festivals, and performances of the barn theatre.